[Mediawiki-l] LDAP & Windows AD Authentication

shane shanep at sydneygang.com
Tue Oct 24 03:00:10 UTC 2006

Ryan,

Thanks for the response and your fresh pair of eyes.

I'll try and answer your questions.

Are you using SSL/TLS?  - According to our System Admins, no SSL certificate
is in place on the Active directory and SSL isn't being used!

What do your AD logs show? - Its a windows 2003 Server so checking the windows
Event Viewer -> Directory Services events shows no errors or issues

Is the user failing to bind, or is the bind failing because the SSL connection
is failing? If AD doesn't show a bind failure, it is likely that it is the SSL
connection failing (as AD doesn't log very much). This is pretty common when
using AD.  -

I have no idea how to further diagnose the problem to understand why it is
failing to bind. I was able to use another PHP script I found to find out if I
could connect to the AD and search for data within the AD structure. This php
script as able to return a list of users in a (ou=Sydney, dc=Planit,dc=Local)
baseDN. I have also tried using the tool LDP.exe, a windows AD connection and
search tool

Does your AD even have an SSL cert in place?  - I believe not

AD doesn't use SSL by default, only Kerberos? - Kererbos is being used not SSL

Are you using IIS or apache? – I’m running IIS6