[Mediawiki-l] Section-Edits cause edit-conflicts

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 17:42:45 UTC 2006

On 10/23/06, Jan <2036 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello again!
>
> Has nobody an idea? Also see my fullquoted question below.
> Could somesone of you try this in your own wiki-install?
>
> # User FF (or Browser FF) opens article Sandbox and click edits ==section
> one==
> # User IE opens Sandbox, clicks edits == section two ==, changed
> something, and
> choose SAVE
> # User FF saves this changes in previous opened "edit section one".
>
> Do you get an edit conflict, too?
>
> I hope for your help,
> regards,
> Jan
>

> Jan Fokko schrieb:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I administer a few MediaWiki-installations. They are hosted on different
> > (Webspace)-Server, and have different versions: 1.5x, 1.6x and 1.8x.
> >
> > When we make in one article two section-edits, we got an edit-conflict,
> although
> >       we edited in different sections.
> > I could reproduce the conflict this in all my wikis ... but my test in
> the
> > de.wikipedia causes no edit-conflict.
> >
> > How to configurate a MediaWiki-Installation to avoid this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jan

That behavior is what I see on en.wikipedia and the two MediaWiki
1.7.1installations I have run elsewhere.

It would be nice if it did the equivalent of a source code merge on the
second edit to be completed, if it didn't overlap then insert it
appropriately, but it seems to lock the whole article when you edit one
section.

The only way around this is to make sections transcluded from subpages,
rather than normal inline sections, I think.  Then the edits only conflict
if people are editing the same transcluded subpage.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com