[Mediawiki-l] Feature: "Email this page"

Eric K ek79501 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 02:27:32 UTC 2006

Hi Al
  This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure other people will find this useful as well. If spammers start using it, someone will improve the script e.g. to make the Visual Confirmation more "auto" proof. Currently I see it has plain text in it. Some criss cross lines would help to obfuscate the auto image recognition used by advanced spammers but this is excellent to disable the common auto spammer.
  Is there some way you could send me:
  - sendarticle.php
  - mylinks.php
  How can we make sure the SendArticle.php has a valid referer?
  Also I wonder if there's a way to wrap SendArticle.php so it looks like a part of the Wiki site.

  thank you for all your help,
  Eric

Al Degutis <al.degutis at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 10/18/06, Eric K wrote:
> What I want to ask then is: Is there a way to pass the pageURL variable to a hidden
> field of an HTML form? That will help. Then it'll be like the Clickability links of CNN.com,
> where pages can be emailed with the Link of the page already embedded in the email
> form.

Eric,

What I've done is edit MonoBook.php to add an include to page with my
links as such

Under:

right after:
data['newtalk'] ) { ?>  $this->html('newtalk') ?>

I added:

In the mylinks.php page, I include;
  Send this article to a
friend

sendarticle.php grabs the URL via referer, runs the function
get_title_tag (found on the Internet somewhere) to get the page title
and presents a form for the user to fill out which includes a visual
confirmation field. It is also important to code this page to ensure
that there is a refering page, otherwise bots will try to abuse it by
accessing it directly.

See it in action here:
http://www.skyinsight.net/wiki/

Hope this helps