[Mediawiki-l] Installing MediaWiki on a co-lo server

Robert Leverington lcarsdata at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 17 20:10:20 UTC 2006

You need to download the latest version of MediaWiki from sourceforge,
the .tar.gz file as you thought.

MediaWiki needs to be unpacked to run on a server, this can be done
manually in Windows XP using an unpacking program such as WikiRAR or
WinZip or (I think) done via UNIX on some servers. Once you have
unpacked it (or before if you are using the second method) you need to
create a MySQL database using your web hosting package and then go to
the wiki directory where it will prompt you to install MediaWiki.