[Mediawiki-l] User / Group Access

Gregory Szorc gregory.szorc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 17:53:24 UTC 2006

MediaWiki isn't designed with granular per-namespace, per-category,
per-article, etc permissions in mind.  Content in MediaWiki is either all
open, or all closed (in a general sense).  There are patches out there that
restrict access to certain pages, however, there are numerous ways to
circumvent these, including many 3rd party extensions.  If you are trying to
restrict content, I recommend another wiki engine that was designed with
permissions management in mind.

The simplest way to securely protect content in MediaWiki is to set up
multiple MediaWiki instances with a shared user and groups table.  You can
configure each wiki to only allow certain groups to access content.