[Mediawiki-l] Creating a link for an Image

Eric K ek79501 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 22:35:46 UTC 2006

I want to make it so, when I click on an image on the Wiki, it can go to a specified URL or Interwiki link. Someone has explained how to do this using a template which has a DIV and the Template:Click is also available on Wikipedia:
  http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2005-November/008512.html

  But I'm wondering we should'nt we be able to create a link on the image using the regular way too - images are regularly linked to something on the WWW. Why not on Mediawiki? A syntax like the following would be nice:
  [ Image:Myimage.jpg | link=http://www.cnn.com ] (spaces for ease of reading)
OR just:
  [ Image:Myimage.jpg | http://www.cnn.com ], OR for the Interwiki link, ofcourse:
  [ Image:Myimage.jpg | [[An Interwiki Link]] ]

  What change can I make in the image parser to enable this functionality?

  thank you
  Erik