[Mediawiki-l] Downloading images on demand from wikipedia.

Luis Zarrabeitia kyrie at uh.cu
Wed Oct 11 18:08:42 UTC 2006

The thread "Hotlinking images from wikipedia ?" was specially interesting for
me.

I'm trying to keep a local mirror of wikipedia (it is the second most accessed
website from my faculty, second only to google). My idea was/is to download
and insert the databases (done), and to download and keep a local cache of
the images on demand. (and then find a way to update both the images and the
databases).

Is there an easy way to download the images when they are not found locally?
I'm willing to start poking at the code if it is not already done, but I'd
prefer to diverge as little as possible from the original mediawiki code.

Cheers,

--
Luis Zarrabeitia
Fac. de Matemática y Computación, UH.