[Mediawiki-l] Mediawiki as a CMS.

Luis Zarrabeitia kyrie at uh.cu
Wed Oct 4 15:24:28 UTC 2006

Hi.
I want to use mediawiki to publish my faculty's courses on the web. For what I
need, a full-blown CMS is not needed, and certain features of mediawiki are
quite desirable (for instance, the <math> and <gnuplot> extensions are
specially useful and I haven't seen them on any CMS)

However, as the courses are independent, I would like the pages to be
independent: if two equally named files are uploaded to different courses,
they should not overwrite each other, i.e, I could have
http://mysite/course1/conference1 and http://mysite/course2/conference1.
Also, editors of course1 shouldn't necesarily be able to edit course2.

The problem could be solved by installing different wikis, one for each course
(or a single wiki that used different databases/tables for diferent urls) but
that way sharing users between wikis (a teacher or a student with two
courses) or setting up an unified skin would be harder if not impossible.

What would be the best course of action in this situation?

Cheers,

Zarrabeitia.