[Mediawiki-l] Preformatting pages -- any ideas?

JTAutry jtautry at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 17:34:46 UTC 2006

> I am setting up a wiki to use for project documentation.  I would like to
> be
> able to specify page patterns with standard structures, headings and links
> that could be automatically loaded into the editor.  So, for instance, a
> pattern page (I am avoiding the term Template, which seems to be something
> else) for a UNIX-style manual section would have pre-written headers for
> the
> name, synopsis, options, known bugs, etc., along with perhaps some
> boilerplate.  I would like users to be able to select among a number of
> pattern pages (maybe a dozen at most) when they create a new page.

Mark,

I do this on our IT wiki implementation.  Its mainly for documentation and to help the make sure we have a common design for our articles I setup templates.  Then I have an "Add a New Article" page the user can go to.  There's a section for each of the predefined pages the user can add, with a description and such so that they can make sure they know what its for.  In each section is an input box specific to that article type in which they type the page name and click the "Create Page" button.  using the preload option (ie preload=Template:New_Project), the page is created in edit mode with all the headings, default text, categories, etc.

Hope this helps,

JT