[Mediawiki-l] installation/database problem

Damien Hull dhull at digitaloverload.net
Tue Nov 28 01:40:07 UTC 2006

I'm trying to install mediawiki version 1.8.2. I don't have root access
to MySQL ( not my server ). I created a database using the web tools ( I
think it's C panel ). When I try to install mediawiki it only uses the
user name in the "root" section. When I put in the master user name and
password the the hosting company gave me I get the following error message.

    Error selecting database digital_wikidb: 1044 Access denied for user

What's going on here and how do I fix this?

I have installed mediawiki on my own server and ran into the same
problem. It only worked if I used the root account for mysql. Using a
user of the database would not work.