[Mediawiki-l] Any way to do Automatic Rollback for a certain user?

Eric K ek79501 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 13:09:39 UTC 2006

My aim is to make everything automatic. I've made an extension (not fully developed yet) which automatically blocks the user if he does too many edits in a certain amount of time and if he is an unknown user (if he's not in a certain list editable on the wiki like the Spam Black list Regex page). Now, if the Rollback is automatic as well, this means a robotic vandal didnt do any damage at all - the Wiki wouldnt have to wait for somoene to come and revert the changes. If its a valid user (chances of this happening are slim), their changes are still saved and we can revert the Rollback manually. I'm trying to make it so that dealing with vandalism is automatic, atleast for Robotic Bot vandalism. That will help save me a lot of trouble in the long run. The Bad Behavior extension wasnt nice - it didnt stop Bot vandalism (move floods) and it denied valid people service and even stored their passwords in text form in its log table. I disabled it and made my own extension which
 works great and has already saved our wiki from Bot floods, except for the Rollback. I'm also trying to figure out a way to integrate it with the Spam Black list. Definitely, I dont want the wiki's known users to be scanned for spam, which is what SBL does. It helps to have a list of editors which are safe for the wiki. That prevents inconvenience for people who frequently edit the wiki and I only have to add their name to a list and that saves them a lot of trouble in the long run. This too is in development.

Gary Kirk <gary.kirk at gmail.com> wrote:
  Sorry, am I missing something...can't you just block the user? -Gary Kirk

On 11/23/06, Eric K wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to automatically roll back a detected vandal's edits.
> Is there any way to do this? I guess this would involve making a FOR loop
> and undoing each Edit from that certain user and visiting his rollback link
> which would be something like:
>

> http://www.my-wiki.com/index.php?title=theArticle&action=rollback&from=VandalUser&token=0c3b5gg83fce1c28c5hhh38071280cb
>
> One part involves determining the token. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary Kirk