[Mediawiki-l] Multiple content domains in a single wiki

Kevin Chen yaugin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 09:15:18 UTC 2006

Are there any suggestions on how to host multiple content domains in a
single wiki? Namespaces were my initial approach but the maintenance
overhead of having to monitor and correct page names (to put them in the
right namespace) gets out of control very quickly. The act of creating a
page in a namespace is currently beyond intuition for the average user. Is
there perhaps an easier way to organize (and separate) articles? Something
like a directory tree would suffice. Would Categories be any more practical?
I suspect not.

The reasons I'd like to have all content in a single wiki is to

1. Be able to edit metapages without having to replicate changes across
multiple wikis.

2. Unify all the user profiles so that users don't have to register for each
wiki, if they should choose to participate in more than one, and so that I
don't have to replicate permissions for those users.

So if there is a good, clean way to achieve these points, such as sharing a
database or something, I'd be very
interested to know.