[Mediawiki-l] problem with MySQL 4.0x

Thomas Tschoellitsch ttschoellitsch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 17:15:41 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've got a database on a MySQL 4.0x installation which produces wrong
characters in a (current but non-beta as of today) MediaWiki
installation whenever German umlauts are used.

Currently, I'd like to avoid upgrading the MySQL version to 4.1.1+
(with which I could change the charsets using the alter database
command).

Since I can't use the alter database command my plan is to find out
which charset the database is set to and adjust the database data to
this charset with a newer version then re-import the modified data.

Is there a better way to make the umlauts display correctly?

Thanks,
Thomas