[Mediawiki-l] access control on pages

CoyoteTrexl at aol.com CoyoteTrexl at aol.com
Fri Nov 10 01:20:09 UTC 2006

In a message dated 11/9/2006 1:34:00 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Sindhu.Subramaniam at iflexsolutions.com writes:

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is any way to protect access  to some
pages.
This extension works for that. You can control access by adding a tag to
pages you want to hide from some readers.
_http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Group_Based_Access_Control_Extension_
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Group_Based_Access_Control_Extension)

Also, GroupWiki allows page by page protection. It is a modified version of
MediaWiki, not yet available as a patch:

_http://_
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Group_Based_Access_Control_Extension) groupwiki.sourceforge.net
_http://sourceforge.net/projects/groupwiki_
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/groupwiki)

I am running mediawiki 1.8.2
MySQL 5.0.27
PHP  5.1.6

I came across some inputs on mentioning the permissions  on
LocalSettings.php. for example  $wgGroupPermissions['group1']['read']
= false;

I have given  permissions in this manner. I am now getting the group
'group1' in the user  rights assignment page. I can also add a user to
this page, but the rights  are not being enforced. Other than read, I had
mentioned, 'cannot create a  new page', 'edit' permissions to false.
However the user did not face any  access problems whatsoever.

Please tell me if the methodology I am  using is alright.

Best regards,
Sindhu  Subramaniam