[Mediawiki-l] Preformatting pages -- any ideas?

Mark Proudman mfproudman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 18:14:54 UTC 2006

This is a newbie question, but I have spent considerable time reading the
various Wiki help pages and don't see anything similar.

I am setting up a wiki to use for project documentation.  I would like to be
able to specify page patterns with standard structures, headings and links
that could be automatically loaded into the editor.  So, for instance, a
pattern page (I am avoiding the term Template, which seems to be something
else) for a UNIX-style manual section would have pre-written headers for the
name, synopsis, options, known bugs, etc., along with perhaps some
boilerplate.  I would like users to be able to select among a number of
pattern pages (maybe a dozen at most) when they create a new page.

Has anybody done something like that?  The idea is so obvious that I almost
expect to be told to RTDM.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark Proudman