[Mediawiki-l] Namespaces v Categories

CoyoteTrexl at aol.com CoyoteTrexl at aol.com
Sun Nov 5 19:58:57 UTC 2006

In a message dated 11/5/2006 11:42:44 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tim at hyperarts.com writes:

If  someone could point me to what the additions would be in
LocalSettings.php, that'd be great.
Was this page not helpful? Or perhaps you didn't find it yet
_http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Custom_namespaces_
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Custom_namespaces)

Finally, if I've created a discussion namespace for  a novel and I
want to add a discussion link after one particular  entry on an
alphabetical listing page, what is the syntax for  this?

Thanks. Tim
Create a template with the following content and name it "Template:Discuss"
(or "Template:YourTemplateName")

[[{{NAMESPACE}}_talk:{{PAGENAME}}| Discuss]]

Any where you want a link to a discussion page related to a main page, just
use {{discuss}} to call the template content. This will perform the same as
the  "Discussion" tab at the top of pages; it will print "Discuss" (or whatever
you  put after the pipe) and create link to that page's talk page.

If you want to link page A to page B's discussion page, that would be a
different matter. A simple wikilink on page A to page B's talk  page would work:
[[Page_B:talk|Discuss]].

If you want to expedite adding links to the page B discussion page, you
could make a template page named, for example, "Template:DiscussB." Put the
[[Page_B:talk|Discuss]] wikilink on the page "Temlate:DiscussB" and call it
anywhere on your site with {{DiscussB}}.