[Mediawiki-l] MW move + upgrade

MHart wiki at matthart.com
Wed Nov 1 14:21:45 UTC 2006

> Thanks, my opinion is the same, I just wanted to hear other people
> opinions.
> This way is also good possibility how to test backup scripts which I use
> fully backup my wiki. I'll try to restore to the new server from this
> backups.

FWIW, I migrated some 70+ wikis to a new server. It went far smoother and
faster than what I had allotted. I'd already done some restores, so I had
the process down for individual wikis.

I now host over 100 wikis. I make full backups weekly to an offsite 1tb RAID
5 NAS, and I make daily automated backups of all databases (locally stored -
RAID 1).

For the migration, I brought down the old server's external access (httpd,
vsftpd). Shut down MySQL. Did a final mysqldump of all dbs. Copied the db
SQL to the new server. Copied all the old folders over (by mounting the old
server's root as a mnt on the new server). Copied over the httpd.conf's
virtualhost entries (all at the end). Did a mysql < .sql to restore the dump
to the new server. Started httpd again and everything worked great.

I've also done dozens of upgrades from 1.3.x and 1.4.x and 1.5.x to a
1.7.1-based baseline. For those, I rename localsettings, copy in the new
files, run the install, update the newly-created localsettings with any
customizations (always at the bottom). No problems.

- MHart