[Mediawiki-l] Performance issues with transformed messages ( {{ ) on skins

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 28 15:16:01 UTC 2006

Hi,

I already wrote about this issue here: http://mail.wikipedia.org/
pipermail/wikitech-l/2006-January/033518.html

The problem - messages on default skin include project name, and the
inclusion costs milliseconds. I didn't do proper profiling now, but
it may consume up to 20% of time required to push out a simple page.

The easy immediate cure for any site is to check that there're no
transformations happening in these messages:

mediawiki:aboutpage
mediawiki:privacypage
mediawiki:disclaimerpage
mediawiki:aboutsite
mediawiki:pagetitle

As for mediawiki development, the urls may point to Project: (what
would be rewritten into proper project namespace afterwards), or have
$wgSitename used in Message files...
Message transformations matter in many other cases, but those at
least are not triggered on every page load.

I guess this doesn't matter that much with Tim's new Skin rendering
engine, but I can't tell now, :)

Cheers,
Domas

--