[Mediawiki-l] rewite rules

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sat May 27 21:25:48 UTC 2006

On 5/27/06, Amit Vyas <amitvyas.cse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Wiki is working fine following change in Localsettings.php
>
> #$wgArticlePath      = "$wgScript/$1";
> $wgArticlePath      = "$wgScript?title=$1";
>
> So I am able to access my wiki again, but with  $wgArticlePath  =
> "$wgScript/$1"; wiki is not showing up.
> as suggested in irc I disscussed with my provider they see no problem.
>
> I am still trying some rewrite rules .. but I don't know where the probelm
> is since my provider was rebuilding apache, so is the problem at wiki ? or
> in apache configuration , what should I ask my provider for in that case?

Your question is a bit too vague to answer directly, but perhaps I can
give a hint or two.

$wgArticlePath affects how links to articles are rendered by mediawiki
in the generated html when a page is displayed.

Whether or not a url like http://www.mywiki.org/wiki/Main_Page will
get you to the main page has nothing to do with $wgArticlePath.  It
depends on the Apache and PHP configuration. If the PHP configuration
supports those paths directly then no apache rewriting should be
needed.  Apache mod_rewrite can be used to rewrite such a url into
http://www.mywiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page so that a php
configuration which doesn't directly support them will work, this
second form of url should always work.  This rewriting gets done
internally, the user never sees it.

One reason for $wgArticlePath is so that links can be presented to the
user in the "prettier" form if the wiki is configured to work with it,
and the "uglier" form if not.

For details, search the mediawiki site for pretty urls or the like.
--
Rick DeNatale

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator
http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/