[Mediawiki-l] (Media)Wiki use by SoC projects

Anders Wegge Jakobsen wegge at wegge.dk
Fri May 26 21:34:37 UTC 2006

"Sy Ali" <sy1234 at gmail.com> writes:

> Just a quick mention that a lot of projects choose something to
> supplement or replace mediawiki only because mediawiki lacks _simple_
> access control mechanisms per-page and per-namespace.

 One of the wonders of developing mediawiki is that we do not *have*
to "sell" a product. The prime objective is to develop something
that's usefull for the wikimedia foundation, for use on their various
projects. If, by incident, the software is usefull in other contexts,
that's a nice bonus.

 Since the goal for the WMF is openness, and will likely continue to
be so, it is highly unlikely that the mediawiki codebase will include
ACL's beyond our current needs, ie. restricted acces to particular
*actions*.

 Adding a fine-grained ACL is not one of the core requirements, and
since it would bear a severe performance hit, I don't see this as
coming anytime soon. *Maybe*, and that is pure speculation on my part,
the future development will eventually bring hooks for som external
ACL mechanism. But this is not something I see coming within the
forseeable future.

--
// Wegge
Weblog: http://blog.wegge.dk