[Mediawiki-l] (Media)Wiki use by SoC projects

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Thu May 25 20:50:53 UTC 2006

Browsing around among the Google Summer of Code projects, I noticed
that a lot of the links to "ideas" pages pointed to MediaWiki
installations -- many sites even used MW as their only CMS. I decided
to do a quick count of the wiki engines and CMS used, which might be
interesting to others as well -- SoC is a valuable sample as these are
many of the leading open source projects.

http://code.google.com/soc/

28 static pages or unidentified (usually custom) CMS
22 MediaWiki installations (Beagle, Blender, Creative Commons,
Etherboot, FFMpeg, Inkscape, Jabber, Mars Space Flight Facility,
Moodle, MythTV, One Laptop Per Child, OpenOffice.org, OpenSolaris,
OpenSUSE, ReactOS, NASA World Wind, Mono, Mozilla, Wikimedia,
wxWindows, Xiph, XMMS)
14 MoinMoin wikis
8 Drupal installations (CMS with some wiki-like elements)
5 TRAC installations (very cool integrated bugtracking/wiki/everything)
3 TWikis (wiki.java.net only counted once)
2 TikiWikis
2 UseMod (keep up the good fight!)
2 Confluence "enterprise wikis"
1 unidentified bugtracking system
1 unidentified blog engine
1 JotSpot wiki (evil proprietary engine! ;-))
1 EditMe wiki
1 PHPWiki
1 "Wicked" wiki
1 Joomla CMS
1 Plone CMS
1 WikkaWiki
1 DocuWiki
1 XWiki
1 unidentified wiki

I found it funny that quite a few of the MediaWikis use CamelCase
though they don't have to. This is often because they were migrated
from other wiki engines.

I was quite surprised by how well MoinMoin is doing, and how poorly
TWiki. If even the geeks don't like TWiki anymore, I guess it's dying.
Of course MW's showing is excellent - and a bit scary. I will be very
happy when all these typically English-only wikis become fully capable
of accepting multilingual content -- this could benefit _huge_ numbers
of people outside the Wikimedia community, where we achieve
multilingualism through a complex multi-database setup that most sites
will not care to replicate.

Erik