[Mediawiki-l] Mediawiki future: wikitext or wysiwyg

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Wed May 24 03:34:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 15:15, Shtriter wrote:
> I would like to know what way of the MW development will be chosen:
> to integrate some wysiwyg editor into MW and forget about wiki text,
> not to integrate editors at all or to combine that approaches.

Personally, I'd be very happy to see one or more WYSIWYG (or variant
thereof) features available as a supported extension to MediaWiki.
Ideally, the community would have a choice from a small number (2-3?) good
quality, actively supported, WYSIWYG extensions.

The reason for the small number is to ensure that they're actively
developed, supported, and maintained. Secondly, I wouldn't really like to
see one single editor trying to fit every application's requirements.
Variations on the theme should be encouraged to prevent bloat and the
inevitable security problems as unplanned features are bolted on at a
later date.

I do not think that MediaWiki should be looking to make such functions a
core component of the software, and that it should stick with an abstract
markup language and basic default interface. The reason for this is to
prevent the GUI becoming too embedded in the core software and introducing
bloat and security problems.

I'd much rather have a 'secure by default' approach and have to uncomment
a LocalSettings 'require' setting in order to enable one of the GUI
options in order to enable an extension.
--
rik