[Mediawiki-l] Mathematics not being rendered to images

Andrew Lowe andrew.lowe at quantm.net
Tue May 23 00:14:32 UTC 2006

Hi all,
	I have recently installed Mediawiki here at work and everything
is going fine. During the install I thought that I wouldn't need maths
formula rendering so didn't install imagemagic etc.  Now it's a case of
"silly me" as there is a mathematician here who used Tex when doing his
PhD and would like to enter maths formula's on his pages.

	I've subsequently set $whUseTex to true and then installed
imagemagick etc. I next loaded one of his pages and get in red text:

Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation
of latex, dvips, gs, and convert):

If I fire up a shell, I'm running Gentoo Linux with the version of
Mediawiki being the latest, and type in:

latex

	I get:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.5-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
**

-----------------------
dvips

	I get:

This is dvips(k) 5.95b Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
Missing DVI file argument (or -f).
Try --help for more information.

-----------------------
gs

	I get:

GNU Ghostscript 8.16 (2005-05-09)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.

-----------------------
convert

	I get:

Version: ImageMagick 6.2.6 05/18/06 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2006 ImageMagick Studio LLC

Usage: convert [options ...] file [ [options ...] file ...] [options
...] file

Where options include:
  -adjoin              join images into a single multi-image file
  -affine matrix       affine transform matrix
  -annotate geometry text
                       annotate the image with text
  -antialias           remove pixel-aliasing
  ..
  .

-----------------------

If I go into the ....../mediawiki/math directory view the README file
and grab the bit of example code for texvc and run it:

texvc /tmp /home/samba/public "y=x+2" iso-8859-1

I get a nice *.png file with y = x+2 rendered on it.

	I think I have all of the appropriate apps in place and within
the PATH, all of the above was entered from
/var/www/localhost/htdocs/mediawiki, although texvc is in the
....../mediawiki/math dir and I had to explicitly go into this dir for
it to run. Can anyone think of what could be wrong and in turn point me
in the right direction so that I can make the mathematician happy.
Either a fix to my problem or where to look to start debugging would be
greatly appreciated.

	Regards,
		Andrew Lowe