[Mediawiki-l] Questions from a delinquent first time upgrader...BIG PROBLEM

CheekyGeek cheekygeek at gmail.com
Sat May 20 13:27:54 UTC 2006

Following the directions pointed to (thanks for that link) I ran into some
problems. First of all, I locked the database from changes by removing the
wiki-user's INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE privileges. However, the instructions do
not tell you when you need to restore the wiki-user's privileges. I realized
this when,during the install process, things seemed to be going well but ran
into an error message part way through that seemed to indicate something the
wiki-user was unable to do. So, I restored the wiki-user's INSERT, DELETE,
UPDATE privileges and ran the install process again. Instead of the messages
I got before (that tables were found...good...etc.) I just got the instant
"your wiki is setup" message. Now I have a blank fresh wiki.

I'm not sure what I did wrong but the bottom line is that I need to restore
from my wiki backup.sql.
However, (next problem) the backup.sql looks a wee bit incomplete. For one
thing it is missing the " ###  DATABASE DUMP COMPLETED ###" message at the
end. The good news is that it seems to have the INSERT commands for all of
the tables (ending after a long list of "INSERT INTO `watchlist` VALUES").
However, when I try to restore using phpmyadmin (using the SQL tab and
browsing to the file - hitting GO) I get a "No SQL Query!".

So questions 1 & 2: does it appear that my backup file is incomplete? And if
so, can I add the text to the end to make it appear complete (because it
looks like almost all of it is there). If someone could look at the end of
their mediawiki's dump and tell me what comes after the "INSERT INTO
`watchlist` VALUES", I'd greatly appreciate it.

I also tried to restore from the command line using:
*mysql -u rootuser -prootpw mywiki **< /tmp/__DB__mywiki.sql*

but I get a "Can't create database 'mywiki_db'; database exists" message no
matter whether I'm trying to restore the database of the original name or a
new blank (no tables) database that I created with a different name.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a real MySQL or mediawiki guru.
: (

If I can make the backup.sql file valid by adding whatever it needs at the
end and figure out the correct procedure for restoring it, I'm assuming I
can make another run at the upgrade.

Thanks in advance to any who take pity on this poor soul.