[Mediawiki-l] Does this sound like a good strategy for setting up a partially editable site in the way we want?

Ken McDonald ken at pixologic.com
Sat May 20 01:56:10 UTC 2006

I know that there are various approaches to permissions in MW, and it's
quite possible there may be things I haven't seen in the docs. (My
primary reference is "Help:User rights"). We're in the final process of
setting up our site, and I was wondering if more experienced users would
care to comment on the following rights strategy we've come up with, and
perhaps offer suggestions.

The initial version of the site will be read-only to all users except
sysops. This seems easy enough to accomplish with the general
permissions settings, and then set them again when we have editable
pages in place.

Some pages will never be editable by users. We don't want to use a
separate namespace to separate user-editable vs. non-editable content,
so simply using page protection seems like the way to go. Is there a way
of batch protecting our initial pages? (Converted from MoinMoin). We
don't have so many that this is necessary, but it would be nice to avoid
setting protections for each by hand.

I also notice that my local experimental MW setup (under OS X) seems to
have a limited range of protections that can be assigned to a page; in
particular, my protect options only seems to know about sysops,
unregistered users, and registered users. If I understand correctly, MW
comes with various other groups (eg. bureaucrats) defined. Is there way
to protect a a page so that it can, for example, be edited by sysops and
bureaucrats but not by other users?

And, I would guess that the info in Help:User rights about the fact that
MW doesn't yet have a special 'edittalk' permission is still accurate?
It'd be nice to have all talk pages editable by registered users, but
it's not important enough to us to put in a hack that probably won't be
compatible with how an edittalk feature is implemented in some future
release.

That's all, really :-)  Again, please feel free to offer suggestions on
different ways to do things, other documentation I should read, etc. etc.

Thanks,
Ken