[Mediawiki-l] To Change Separator Character (underscore to Dot)

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sat May 13 22:51:34 UTC 2006

On 5/13/06, Seun Osewa <seun.osewa at gmail.com> wrote:
> 100?  Ouch!
>
> Google recognizes keywords in urls that are separated by dots or
> hyphens, but words separared by underscores are viewed as one unit.
>
> A Google rep even recommended hyphens over underscores:
>   http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/23564.htm
>   http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/4572.htm
>
> The difference is really small, and if a project gets a lot of link
> love (like wikipedia) it probably wouldn't matter, I guess.

Two comments.

1) Both of those threads are quite old, and google's algorithms don't
stand still.

2) As one of those threads pointed out we are talking about separators
in the urls here.  Mediawiki turns spaces into underscores in the
article urls, but the page content will have the words separated by
spaces, and presumably the page content counts more than the url.

--
Rick DeNatale

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator
http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/