[Mediawiki-l] Understanding multi-language versions of wiki

Hugh Prior mediawiki at localpin.com
Sat May 13 14:03:19 UTC 2006

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for.

> Have a look at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_create_a_small_wiki_farm.3F,

Now, a little rant (also put on
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:FAQ#Why_is_the_non-meta_page_missing_information_found_on_meta.3F):

Why is the meta version of this page
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ much better (i.e. much more
comprehensive) than this page? For example, I was looking for ages for info
on how to create a multi-lingual site, of course read this page, then via
the forums got the answer from the Rob Church and Rotem Liss posts (13th May
2006) that I should check:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#How_do_I_create_a_small_wiki_farm.3F

If the old meta page is really supposed to be replaced by this mediawiki
version then shouldn't we just stick a redirect on it? Otherwise we have the
classic horror of duplicated data.

As it is, the information which I was looking for appears to be only on the
(supposedly replaced) meta page and not on the (supposedly better)
replacement page. I also made a minor correction to the old version because
the correction had nowhere else to go.