[Mediawiki-l] User groups & rights

Andrew Lowe andrew.lowe at quantm.net
Wed May 10 06:20:41 UTC 2006

Hi all,
	Lets start off by saying I'm new to Mediawiki and at present am
overwhelmed with the config info, so please be gentle with me.

	I've installed Mediawiki at work and need to create two groups,
"peasant" and "master". A peasant has the rights to: read, edit,
rollback, upload, createpage, minoredit. A master has the rights to:
read, edit, move, delete, undelete, protect, upload, rollback,
createpage, minoredit.

    First question: As a master is a superset of a peasant, I can define
a peasant as:

peasant: read, edit, rollback, upload, createpage, minoredit

And a master as:

master: move, delete, undelete, protect.

    In turn a person who is regarded as being a "master" would be a
member of both the peasant and master groups ie the rights being
cumulative.

    These rights are defined in LocalSettings.php and have the form:

$wgGroupPermissions['peasant']['read'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['peasant']['move'] = false;

Correct?

	Second question: I've set up the LocalSettings.php as above for
all of the rights. I've also added for User01, id = 5, a row in the
user_groups table that contains ug_user = 5 and ug_group = peasant. I
restarted apache and logged into the wiki as User01. As a peasant does
not have the rights to edit or move, I would have expected the small
tabs at the top of each page to  be missing but when I brought up a
page, the two small tabs for edit and move were present. I've cleared
the browser, firebird, cache but they are still present. Any ideas as to
why they are still there or have I misunderstood the group/rights
concept - that those tabs are related to a users rights?

	Final question: In Firebird entering the URL of about:plugins
will list the currently installed plugins. Does Mediawiki have something
similar that does a dump of all of the current config variables, such as
the rights, groups etc.

	Any thoughts are greatly appreciated,
		Andrew Lowe