[Mediawiki-l] Discussion format

Elliott F. Cable ecable at avxw.com
Fri May 5 11:34:16 UTC 2006

I heard some discussion earlier about having a new parsed item - ">"
for discussions, to indent replies, so that indentation and some
other things (such as CSS declarations) could be applied more
gracefully.

How and where would I start hacking at things to implement this as an
extension:

Wewt! I am a discussion! I hate cheese. [[User:1]]
 > I think cheese is good actually... [[User:2]]
 >> Then you must be absurdly crazy! [[User:1]]
 >>> Not at all:
 >>>* Cheese is good
 >>>* Cheese is edible
 >>>* Cheese is yellow
 >>>* Cheese gives us light at night
 >>> For these and other reasons, cheese is good. [[User:2]]
is. It's terribly terrible and should be annihilated.'' -- Oscar Wilde
 >> I agree - we should always praise cheese for the fact that it
isn't a veggie. [[User:3]]
 >>> In light of this new development, I must change my stance - I
hereby support all forms of cheese, cheeseage, and cheesosity. [[User:
1]]

(No, I don't have an account on Uncyclopedia, nor have I ever made a
single contribution there. Don't even ask.)

Any suggestions? I can think of a few things we'd have to deal with,
incorrectly written HTML, especially tags split across a few lines
[so "/n >" wouldn't work]; also possible problems with indenting it
and other stuff...