[Mediawiki-l] [WikiEN-l] Upload by default to Commons?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Thu May 4 09:50:36 UTC 2006

(Fwding to Commons list as well)

Hmm... as a Commons admin I find this very interesting. Does it imply
that the universal login is really in sight? We can only hope! :)

I hope that the universal login does bring with it some kind of
universal talk page "you have new messages...somewhere" notice. Most
Commons users don't check their Commons talk pages with any regularity
and thus don't receive their image warnings, and feel quite slighted
when their copyvios/unsourced images are deleted. Any opportunity to
reduce that would be welcome.

I guess I would say that it's a good idea, except it would very
welcome if en.wp (and any other projects that do this) would consider
"donating" a few admins/keen users to help us out on copyvio patrol.
For non-English projects this is especially essential - it is just so
fantastic to have a native speaker around to be able to ask/tell them,
"you deal with this person, please" :)

Also Commons is, I think, a little more stringent in its application
of free image requirements (that is, when we notice).

Last concern is that Commons really requires uploaders to categorise
their images, something that is not so necessary on en.wp.  Luckily
there are a couple of tools to help with this, perhaps one of these
could be worked into the interface somehow. See the recent commons-l
archive for links.

Brianna