[Mediawiki-l] How to reduce database size

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Tue May 2 00:46:45 UTC 2006

On 02/05/06, Michael Dorosh <madorosh at shaw.ca> wrote:
>  So from the technically un-wizardly - how does one "run a script"? I keep seeing reference to that in this emails but really have no idea what it means. I find the answers here are generally written at a fairly high level of technical know-how which unfortunately puts it above my level of understanding.

When we say "run X script", we usually intend for the user to run a
specific maintenance script, as found in the maintenance/ directory,
and documented, to some extent, in maintenance/README.

These scripts are run from the command line, and do a number of
different things to the wiki. There are scripts used to upgrade the
database schema, refresh the MediaWiki namespace, import text files,
delete pages forever, etc.

Rob Church