[Mediawiki-l] Uploading images suddenly denied (summing up)

RedleX oriredle at actcom.co.il
Mon May 1 13:25:43 UTC 2006

On 1 May 2006, at 12:06, mediawiki-l-request at Wikimedia.org wrote:

>> Hi to all the experts here,
>>
>> I am running a wikimedia server at http://www.oriredler.com
>>
>> For some reason, unknown to me, WM stopped allowing me to upload
>> files. Any image file I try to upload, including files formerly
>> uploaded to my server, is invariably ending with a "uploadcorrupt"
>> message and the upload does not come through.
>>
>> I did not change on my own accord any of the parameters. The last
>> changes are:
>> A. Switched database server a few weeks ago (did not upload images
>> since).
>> B. Upgraded to MW 1.6.3
>> C. Installed the "cite.php" extension a few days ago.
>>
>> None of those should affect the uploads, in my view.
>>
>> Any advise on this?
>>
>> Ori Redler
>
> I had a similar experience, mine turned out that my hosting provider
> had turned on PHP's open_basedir restrictions. You might check that
> and the other PHP security settings.
>
> Peter

Thank you Peter (and Brion Vibber earlier): Your suggestions were
both prompt and to the point.

Peter's advice here led me in the right direction: it was indeed an
open_basedir problem.
The only actual change was the one recommended by the PHPMyAdmin
documentation: "all you have to do is create a 'tmp' directory under
the phpMyAdmin install directory, with permissions 777 and the same
owner as the owner of your phpMyAdmin directory. The uploaded files
will be moved there, and after execution of your SQL commands,
removed." I think that's something anyone in this situation can
probably apply him/herself.

Thanks for the help again.

Ori