[Mediawiki-l] Multiple wikis - dealing with cookies

Joshua Yeidel yeidel at wsu.edu
Tue Mar 28 03:12:29 UTC 2006

You can use the $wgCookiePath.  This variable is set in LocalSettings.php,
and in turn sets a property of the cookie.  When the cookie path matches
(from left-to-right) the URL of a request, the browser sends the cookie
along with that request.

For example, if you have two wikis:

    http://mywikihost.com/wiki1

And

    http://mywikihost.com/wiki2

Then you set the $wgCookiePath to "/wiki1" in wiki1/LocalSettings.php, and
to "/wiki2" in wiki2/LocalSettings.php.  Then each wiki never sees the
other's cookies.

Note:  This is good in theory, but untested (though we're working on it).
The situation is more complex if you are using mod_rewrite or other
short-URL tricks.  There may also be an issue with PHPSESSIONID and its
cookies.  Others on the list may know more...

-- Joshua