[Mediawiki-l] Hoe wo upgrade from 1.5.x (was: Search engine rendered useless by cookies)

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 18:20:56 UTC 2006

MediaWiki releases contain complete copies of the software which
should replace all the existing files of the previous version. The
LocalSettings.php file can be left unaltered.

When upgrading within the same branch, i.e. from 1.X.Y to 1.X.Z, it is
unusual to find large schema alterations made. Therefore, it is
sufficient in most cases to replace the existing files with the new
ones. If database errors do occur, then the maintenance/update.php
script can be run from the command line to check and alter the
database as needed.

[Now, I happen to know that despite this guideline, there *is* a
schema change somewhere between 1.5.0 and 1.5.7. The transwiki table
is missing from the table definitions somewhere along the line,
although it has been included in the updaters.]

It might be worth us taking the time to write up a clean and reliable
set of documents on upgrading from 1.4 to 1.5, and from 1.5 to 1.6,
and storing these on MediaWiki.org, then removing and pruning all the
dud, old or potentially inaccurate stuff from Meta and anywhere else
it may be hiding.

Rob Church