[Mediawiki-l] Cutting back on SQL queries, mainly 'objectcache' ...

Joe me at joescove.com
Thu Mar 23 10:34:23 UTC 2006

Rob Church wrote:

>Look at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Configuration_settings#Reduction
>for *some* tips. You might be able to switch off some use of the
>objectcache through disabling the parser cache (this isn't all that
>table's used for, but on sites without memcached, it contributes a
>large proportion of that table).

When you say "disabling the parser cache"; do you mean changing....
$wgParserCacheType = CACHE_ANYTHING;
$wgEnableParserCache = true;
$wgParserCacheType = CACHE_NONE;
$wgEnableParserCache = false;

And can i asume if i change...
$wgMessageCacheType = CACHE_ANYTHING;
$wgUseDatabaseMessages = true;
$wgMessageCacheType = CACHE_NONE;
$wgUseDatabaseMessages = false;

It would use the lang files rather then the SQL calls ?
And by doing that, is the Nav Bar the only thing im gonna loose (which i
can hard-code into the lang file) ?

Finaly, is there a way for MediaWiki to tell me what the server load is
(i know ive seen other "sites/scripts/templets" do this) so i can stop
buggin you here :-) ?

Thanks again...
- joe