[Mediawiki-l] Finding a User's Signup Date through MediaWiki and creating a "portal" tab

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Mar 17 19:34:35 UTC 2006

Joseph Beaudoin wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to find out when a user created an account on a Wiki
> through the mediawiki software itself? (I can find this information
> easily enough if I dig through the database, but I really don't care to
> go that route.) I wasn't able to find anything substantial through Google.

If you install the new user log extension, you can look their name up in the log:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ#I_want_to_see_new_user-registrations_in_RecentChanges

Otherwise, the best approximation you can get is to check their contributions
list for the date of their first edit (which could be years after the account
was registered). A registration date is added in 1.6 for new accounts, but that
doesn't exist in the current release versions.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)