[Mediawiki-l] Monobook customization problem (columns)

Zach Alexander zach.alexander1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 07:01:14 UTC 2006

Hello all, I have a basic question about how the standard Monobook skin
work, which I am customizing for my wiki. Is there anyone who can explain
how #column-content, #content, and #column-one interact?

I've been able to roughly figure out how the skin works despite not really
knowing CSS, but I'm baffled by why #column-content has a large negative
left margin, and #content has an equivalent positive left margin. I think
not getting this is most of why I haven't been able to manipulate the two
columns like I want.

Speifically I'm trying to the main content column to stay in a fixed
position a little bit from the sidebar, or failing that, a variable position
that at least stays out of the sidebar. So far I haven't been able to get
that to happen in IE.

Thanks,
Zach
wikiveg.org