[Mediawiki-l] upgrading to 1.6alfa

The XEN ICT Team - Ricardo Rodríguez webmaster at xen.net
Sun Mar 12 09:37:29 UTC 2006

Update to 1.5.7 done! Servers up and running! Thanks, Rob.

As for running 1.6alfa. I've just read...

(At this time, Wikimedia sites are running the development version, which can be obtained from CVS if you're adventurous.)

If you're adventurous! So I am!!! :-)

The point is that I'm at the start point with a couple of projects over here. They are feature-xxx projects. If Wikimedia sites can take the risk, I think we can take it too! But, after reading some documents from the new release docs folder, I'm guessing it will better to update first to MySQL 5.0! 4.1.15a running here right now.

Thank you so much for your advise,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
The XEN ICT Team

>>> Rob Church<robchur at gmail.com> 11/3/2006 16:59 >>>

I'd kickstart a response by saying that if you think upgrading to
untested alpha software will fix problems with an out-of-date version
of the software, think again; it could well introduce more. If there
are specific bugs, etc. you've noticed (there are about 3 critical
ones lurking in 1.5.2, if memory serves) then you'd be better off
upgrading to MediaWiki 1.5.7.

Upgrading to HEAD is a nice double-edged sword, in my book. On the one
hand, you will be able to follow the same feature set Wikipedia and
other Wikimedia wikis benefit from; most new functionality goes into
HEAD and isn't backported to older branches. On the other hand, you'll
need to keep updating the code on a regular basis, as HEAD will
continue to be updated. That means being prepared to run the update
scripts to keep the schema up-to-date as well.

As for the mechanics of the update; upload/copy the HEAD files over
the existing ones, and run maintenance/update.php from the command
line. But I'll repeat that it doesn't necessarily sound like the best
option for you.

Rob Church