[Mediawiki-l] site map

Aaron Sherman ajs at ajs.com
Tue Mar 7 20:36:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 15:30 +0000, david cuthbertson wrote:
> Hi,
> I am desperately holding my breath for more sitemap
> info :)
> My wiki is hosted as well so I am not sure I can run
> perl scripts either, though as a mediawiki/mysql/php
> newbie, even if I could I don't yet know how! The
> *.png category map looked superb - so if each of the
> named categories-subcategories were mapped links...
> ;-)Sadly the scalable vector graphics map didn't
> degrade gracefully under IE6 - I will try again later
> this evening with Firefox on my Linux machine.

I think that graphviz will do that, but you have to figure out how to
use the image-map output mode. I don't have time to play with it now,
but if I do, I'll let the list know.

The only hard part is figuring out exactly what you want to map (e.g. by
pulling it from the database or traversing the site), after that it's
pretty easy to massage the data into graphviz format and generate an
image. The circular output mode is also worth looking at, though for my
site it seems to have underwhelming results.

http://www.graphviz.org/

is the site for the visualization tool, and of course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphviz

has some info as well.

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs at ajs.com>