[Mediawiki-l] "Cleanest" way to restrict size of uploaded files?

Ken McDonald ken at pixologic.com
Wed Jun 21 18:30:33 UTC 2006

Reading through the MW documentation, it seems that the preferred way to
restrict the size of files that may be uploaded is to either modify the
Apache setup, or to modify the basic PHP setup. However, this doesn't
seem very clean to me--I assume it would affect all uploads (if using
Apache), or all uploads via PHP (if PHP setup is modified), not just
uploads to the MW site. Plus it requires going into stuff I'm not
familiar with :-). Plus it seems it might involve restarting the server,
always an undesirable prospect.

It would seem that .../includes/SpecialUpload.php would be an obvious
place to make a mod to restrict file size, but I can't see any place for
an easy "hook". (Please be aware that my only intro to PHP so far has
been MediaWiki :-) ). Is this a good place to try a mod? Or can others
suggest a better solution?

Thanks,
Ken