[Mediawiki-l] Blahtex: what's the next step

lethe lethe at charter.net
Mon Jun 19 09:06:35 UTC 2006

David Harvey and others has been working hard on Blahtex, the next
generation in MediaWiki math rendering technology.  Visit http://
www.blahtex.org/ for more information and http://wiki.blahtex.org/go/
Main_Page for a running demo hosted by Jitse Niesen.

Harvey suggests that blahtex will afford a significant performance
advantage, but the main impetus is the ability to render MathML.
Support for MathML is not widespread at the moment, so the need for
Blahtex is not urgent, but it is the future, and we have reason to
believe that Wikipedia's adoption could goad browser developers to
speed their efforts (the answer to the old chicken and egg of who
comes first, browser support or use by web pages could be: Wikipedia
comes first).

It has to happen someday, and today is as good a day as any.  Harvey
says the software is ready for the next step, and wants to move
forward, but doesn't know whom to talk to in order to make this
happen.  I'm writing you to voice my full support for Harvey's and
Niesen's efforts, to open up a dialogue and find out what needs to be
done to take the next step towards rolling this software out, and to
ask if there is anything I can do to help the developers to get this
software ready for deployment.

Thanks
lethe