[Mediawiki-l] problem installing a wiki

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Thu Jun 15 11:34:02 UTC 2006

(this is a resend - i am hoping the person who can help answer my
question, missed it the first time.  it is now several days later and
i still don't know what is going on.)

Hi,

I am new to web applications etc. somewhat experienced with general
sysadmin.  and I hope this is the right list to ask this question.  I
did look through the archive but did not see a similar question -
apologies if i missed it.

On a relatively old Liunx box (2.4.19)
with

Apache Server version: Apache/2.2. (which seems to be running fine)
Mysql Server version     5.0.22-standard (which seems to be running
fine)
PHP 5.1.4

I am trying to build my first MediaWiki Installation.  and fill out
the form presented by ../wiki/config/index/php

but can't seem to do it successfully:

>     * PHP 5.2.0-dev installed
>     * PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
> (index.php/Page_Title)
>     * Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
>     * PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
>     * No zlib support.
>     * Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator are installed, can't
> use object caching functions
>     * Found GNU diff3: /usr/bin/diff3.
>     * Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image thumbnailing
> disabled.
>     * Installation directory: /www/igcaucus.org/wiki
>     * Script URI path: /wiki
>     * Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.
>
>       Generating configuration file...
>     * Database type: mysql
>     * Attempting to connect to database server as root...success.
>     * Connected to 5.0.22-standard
>     * Database wikidb exists
>     * Creating tables... using MySQL 4 table defs...Query "CREATE
> TABLE `IGCaucususer` ( user_id int(5) unsigned NOT NULL
> auto_increment, user_name varchar(255) binary NOT NULL default '',
> user_real_name varchar(255) binary NOT NULL default '',
> user_password tinyblob NOT NULL default '', user_newpassword
> tinyblob NOT NULL default '', user_email tinytext NOT NULL default
> '', user_options blob NOT NULL default '', user_touched char(14)
> binary NOT NULL default '', user_token char(32) binary NOT NULL
> default '', user_email_authenticated CHAR(14) BINARY,
> user_email_token CHAR(32) BINARY, user_email_token_expires CHAR(14)
> BINARY, user_registration CHAR(14) BINARY, PRIMARY KEY user_id
> (user_id), UNIQUE INDEX user_name (user_name), INDEX
> (user_email_token) ) TYPE=InnoDB " failed with error code "Query
> was empty (localhost)".

i know as little about Mysql as i do about Wikis.  can anyone give me
a clue of where to look for my problem/fix?

thanks

a.