[Mediawiki-l] Only allow "Sysop" account to grant sysop priv

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 02:31:45 UTC 2006

On 13/06/06, The Centerfielder <centerfielder at centerfieldview.com> wrote:
> Hmmm. Yes, I know. Perhaps I didn't phrase this correctly. Let me
> come at it from another angle. I'd like to be able to place accounts
> in a group which has all the abilities of the "sysop" group except
> for the ability to add or remove accounts to groups.

This is the default behaviour as Brion noted in a previous post; the
only users who can edit group memberships are "bureaucrats".

> Thinking about it now, I guess a way to do it is to create a group
> which has all sysop abilities, such as protect/unprotect, delete,
> etc., EXCEPT for the ability to add or remove accounts to groups. Is
> this the correct approach, and if so, 1) how does one create such

Yes, except, as I mentioned above and Brion previous to this, that is
the default. :)

> groups, and 2) what's the $wgGroupPermissions magic cookie to add/
> remove to groups.

The permission required to access Special:Userrights is...dum dum
dum..."userrights".

Rob Church