[Mediawiki-l] Edit-in-place

Elliott F. Cable ecable at avxw.com
Mon Jun 12 19:50:16 UTC 2006

I think this was gone over before, and the consensus was not to use
it on wikipedia; but I still think it would be an awesome feature to
use with mediawiki - perhaps to replace the double-click-on-a-section-
to-edit-(a-prefrence-option-availalble-only-if-you-have-javascript)
functionality. I've been looking at it, and here is my simple example:
http://meta.enterwiki.net/ajax/
But as to how to integrate that into mediawiki, I don't even know
where to begin. So, lets get some interest in this, and figure out
where to begin. We *could* implement a simple edit box and a save
button, but what about warnings and a place for an edit summary and
all that? So what I was thinking, was to load the entire content of a
normal edit page, into the page right there under the section. Save
could reload, it doesn't have to submit through HTTP request (Though
it could I guess) - preview however, should RE-replace the edit box
and warnings and stuff with a preview, but leave the 'save' button
there - and replace the 'show preview' button with an 'edit more'
button or something. Just spewing thoughts right now - any comments?