[Mediawiki-l] math: Failed to parse (unknown error)

Rob Desbois robert.desbois at chronos.co.uk
Mon Jun 12 08:23:57 UTC 2006

> I switched to direct e-mail, hope that is okay.
It is best to stay on the mailing list - that way the informatino is archived for future reference. Also if other people see something they can help with they can join back in, so I've copied the list on this email.

> I did notice yesterday that texvc was not in apache's path. I ran
> "sudo -u apache which texvc" and it did not find any. I thought maybe
> mediawiki somehow tells it to also look in math. Maybe it does not.
> I've now applied a hack - just copied texvc to /bin. Now apache sees
> it. math still doesn't work though.
That won't work because it'll be running in the wrong directory. Try the following:
   ln -s /path/to/mediawiki/math/texvc /usr/local/bin/texvc
Which will create a symbolic link to texvc. If /usr/local/bin is not in your apache path either, put the link somewhere which is.

> The directory location still remains an issue, I suppose. $IP is
> already defined as /var/www/mediawiki. It is the $wgScriptPath that is
> defined as /mediawiki. Apparently, it has to be /mediawiki, because if
> I change it to /var/www/mediawiki, even the rest of the wikipage is
> not found.
The path and directory variables are tied in - they mostly seem to be paired, one for the path relative to filesystem, the other relative to wwwroot (hence /mediawiki which *is* at root level in your webroot). If you modify one, you'll ned to modify both.

> In the command you suggested, and in the definition of wgScriptPath,
> do you know why the directory is /mediawiki? It sounds strange,
> because mediawiki is not at / level, it is just a subdirectory of
> /var/www.
I can't guarantee that modifying these will work straight off as I run out of /mediawiki also. It may be that MW doesn't like being in a different directory at the moment.

> "sudo -u apache printenv | grep HOME" tells me /root is apache's home
> directory. Is that what it should be?
Apache is unlikely to be a user you can login as properly, and will also have no home directory. I would guess from what you see that it becomes /root if this is the case.

> Thanks for all your help. This is an intriguing problem, especially
> because I accepted all the default choices while installing mediawiki,
> and did not do anything out of the way, as far as I can tell.
I don't really remember the installation - if you need to moev your installation to an alternative directory and simply modifying the variable contents doesn't work, you could try a reinstallation - I don't recall if there was any directory-related stuff in it though.

--Rob