[Mediawiki-l] Workaround for bug in MySQL 4.0.16

Ben Bullock benkasminbullock at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 03:55:58 UTC 2006

My web providers are using MySQL 4.0.16. I hope to get them to upgrade
in the near future but there is a bug right now. The providers gave
this link:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=11612

When I do

mysqldump --user=XXXX --host=YYYY.db -ceqp
--default-character-set=utf8 --hex-blob --set-charset=utf8 ZZZZ >
ZZZZ.sql

of the mediawiki database, the bug seems to result in article titles
with utf8 consisting of TWO bytes (not three) getting fouled up by
mysqldump. For example titles with ō (o macron) in them are a
particular problem. This is the same if I switch to -X (dump xml) in
the above. Interestingly the article text is OK, only the titles of
the articles are fouled up.

The titles of the articles in the XML generated by the export page of
MediaWiki is OK, but I want to get the whole database dump and import
it into a database rather than individual articles.

Does anyone know of a way to work around the above bug? I'm just
guessing that MediaWiki can do this somehow because the
"Special:Export" gives good results.

Thank you for any advice.