[Mediawiki-l] "Willy on Wheels" sabotage

Sterling D. Allan sterlingda at pureenergysystems.com
Tue Jun 6 19:22:07 UTC 2006

User:Willey on Wheels
cam to my site and "moved" a bunch of pages so that they were appended with "on Wheels!!!"

Benign but extremely obnoxious sabotage.

Are there any measures to prevent this?

Luckily, another user of the site phoned me notifying me of the change on a page he was working on, so I was able to ban Willy on Wheels before he did more damage.

Where the problem became extra annoying was when the "on Wheels!!" was appended on top of an already "on-Wheels!!!"-appended page.  When I tried to "move" the page to its original location, I received an error message that there was already content on that page.

I got around this by reverting one append at a time.  Then it worked.

If I tried deleting any of the forwarded pages, the history was lost, as well as the counter statistics at the bottom of the page.  Thus, the above procedure is necessary to maintaining the history and page view statistics.

I notice that the "user contribs" function at first showed around 75 links for "Willy on Wheels" but after I undid the forawards, they were no longer listed, except in those instances where I did not undo the redirects correctly.

http://www.peswiki.com/energy/Special:Recentchanges

http://peswiki.com/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&hideminor=0&namespace=&target=Willy+on+Wheels&limit=500&offset=0

Sterling