[Mediawiki-l] Topi, User passwords, pleaaase help

Rob Desbois robert.desbois at chronos.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 15:13:00 UTC 2006

>> However, if you want to reset a password, I **think** you can create MD5
>> key to the new password, then apply it in some field in the user table.
>> I'm not sure it will work, so be careful.

I've just been trawling through the source and come up with the following:
In LocalSettings.php you need to add the line:
   $wgPasswordSalt = false;

Then run the following on the database:
   UPDATE user SET user_password=MD5('the_new_password') WHERE user_name='the_user';
You should then be able to log in via the username and new password.
Don't forget to remove the added line from LocalSettings.php once done with.

Hope that helps,
--Rob