[Mediawiki-l] error says MySQL version is 3.23.58 (it's actually 4.0.20) and old client libraries

mediawiki at camara.us mediawiki at camara.us
Sat Jun 3 18:07:56 UTC 2006

I've tried installing MediaWiki 1.6.5 (and 1.6.6) using the web installer
(config/index.php). I get an error saying that the MySQL version is 3.23.58.
The support people at my hosting provider insist they're running 4.0.20 (and
according to http://hppchristianhosting.com/phpinfo.php, that seems to be
true).

I noticed the line about the old MySQL client libraries, but the support
guys just keep telling me the MySQL version is 4.0.20 and PHP version is
4.3.7. I looked at the link, but don't know enough about MySQL, PHP, or
MediaWiki to go about fixing it. I don't have root access (shared host), but
if there's some upgrade to the MySQL interface that the hosting provider can
do, they might be willing (but probably won't want to upgrade their MySQL or
PHP versions). If there's some change I can make to the MediaWiki code to
change the authorization type, that would be good, too.

thanks,

Lionel

The installation results:

PHP 4.3.7 installed
Warning: PHP's register_globals option is enabled. Disable it if you can.
MediaWiki will work, but your server is more exposed to PHP-based security
vulnerabilities.
PHP server API is apache2filter; using ugly URLs
(index.php?title=Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
PHP's memory_limit is 100M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator are installed, can't use object
caching functions
GNU diff3 not found.
Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if
you enable uploads.
Installation directory: /home/httpd/vhosts/camara.us/httpdocs/MediaWiki
Script URI path: /MediaWiki
Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.
Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand(). Consider
changing it manually.
Generating configuration file...

Database type: mysql
PHP is linked with old MySQL client libraries. If you are using a MySQL 4.1
server and have problems connecting to the database, see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html for help.
Attempting to connect to database server as **USERDELETED**...success.
Connected to 3.23.58 -- mysql 4.0.14 or later required. Aborting.