[Mediawiki-l] Watermarking images and more

Mike Wheeler wheeler at artifice.com
Mon Jul 31 23:38:24 UTC 2006

We have recently started an all architecture wiki at Archiplanet.org.
As part of other sites we also offer commercial image licensing of
user submitted images. We would like to be able to do this with our
wiki as well.

Ideally  people would upload a large, several megapixel,  image. An
untouched version of this file would be stored outside the public
wiki. A version scaled down to about 1,000 pixels across with a small
watermark in the corner would be added to the wiki. For making
smaller versions for pages that are bigger than 250 pixels across the
raw original would be used and a watermark added. For thumbnails 250
pixels or less, no watermark would be added.

I'm new to Mediawiki, but I think I can do at least some of this
using hooks that exist. Are there any extensions or other features
that would aid in this process at all?

The most important bit is storing an unmarked full size version out
of public view and a marked smaller version as part of the wiki.

Thanks,

Mike